Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A Decent Rape in Court

When I read the play I Dream Before I Take the Stand by Arlene Hutton, I first found it hard to choose one of the sentences as my favorite to meet Diana’s usual demand. I was bored by the monotonous dialogs and angry with the traps from the questions which were designed one by one by the defense lawyer.

I don’t like lawyers. Ironically, law is a career without morality and honesty. Attorneys reverse black and white or confuse right and wrong if you pay them. The most famous example is the U.S. Simpson case. Every American knows Simpson killed his former wife and her boyfriend, but the defense attorneys’ superior abilities let the murderer go free with a verdict of not guilty. This case became a shameful example of the legal profession.

However, all of us acknowledge the legal system, it is hard to imagine a lawless society for even one day, although some people may use its loopholes in violation of justice and fairness. Perhaps it is a dialectic of life. When we accept brightness, we have to tolerate its shadow at a price.

No comments:

Post a Comment