Wednesday, June 2, 2010

My weekend (30, May – 1, June)

A week ago, Prof. Gao and his wife who live in a small town named Amherst which is in the west of Massachusetts told me that they were going to visit me this weekend. It was an important thing for me because this will be my first time to entertain friends here since I have been to America for 4 months. So several days ahead of the time, I started to look for travel information of Salem and made a schedule for them.

It took them 3 hours to drive to Salem when we at last met at the door of my landlady’s house in Sunday morning. To my surprise, they were far more familiar to Salem than I was since they had been here for many times. So my plan which included visiting museums and old houses became invalid completely.

After lunch, my friend suggested to take the Salem Ferry to Boston to enjoy the picturesque New England coastline. When we embark on the boat, I was immediately attracted by the vast blue sea, the cool sea breeze, the flocks of gulls and the numerous white sailings and yachts. After 55 minutes, we reached the New England Aquarium dock where the lively Italian Fair was holding. There was a large open-air folk concert on the grass and lots of people enjoyed and was singing with the singer. There are also many small stalls to sell souvenirs of the Italian style. However, I am most interesting in the freedom trail, along which foreigners can be easy to explore the history of Boston.

The following day was Memorial Day of the U.S. One of my friend of a local church arranged us to take part in the festival parade and then go fishing in Marblehead Harbor. I was so happy to run into my classmate Su who also was invited to join the day’s activities. The wonderful experiences which occurred in that day she already had told to everybody in the classroom, So I no longer was redundant.

I am so tied in this weekend, but it is really memorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment